Tuesday, December 13, 2011

The Hair

Last Relaxer April 2011
For starters I love big hair. I had been begging my stylist Opal( http://www.opalclark.com/) to make my hair bigger and "not so done" for years. She always gave me the crazy look. People go to the salon to look done, right? Then one fateful day when I was cyber stalking Carly Nickerson's FB page, she liked curlynikki.com. W O W. There was the big hair I had been searching for. Still not convinced that my hair could ever look like those lovely ladies, I kept relaxing (straightening for my melanin deprived friends) the hair. Fed up with the straight plain look in between relaxing appointments, I went in search of another haircut. Opal was ignoring me. Later I found out her cellphone wasn't working. My neighbor sent me to her girl. While I'm yelling at her, make it bigger kinda like bed head. She said if you want bigger why don't you go natural. In shock, she too is melanin deprived. I unloaded all my what ifs. But she was straight like ,"If you don't like it just relax it again. Plus you can get all kinds of scarves and accessories". Seems simple now, right? (I know it's not that simple. I could get into the years of racial BS and hair issues but my motto is "Keep It Moving". I don't have time to waddle in the past because I'm missing my present.) At the moment, I am loving playing with my natural hair. I haven't seen it since the 6th grade at Styx River Water World. I won't call any names, Girl Scout Troop 113. You know who you are. They were teasing me about my coily, kinky, curly hair. I went home in tears and got my hair relax the next day.

1 comment:

  1. Ah, I was thinking maybe you were going natural. Love it in the recent pictures. So pretty and curly.

    ReplyDelete